Wednesday, January 2, 2013
Goals for 2013
It's resolution time. If there is anything I like, it's a plan. A checklist. An itinerary that guides my life. The last couple months have firmly secured in my mind the belief that I do best when I am organized, planned, checking off boxes.
I don't like resolutions, because as soon as I resolve to do anything, I instantly hate feeling locked in by whatever I resolved to do. Goals, on the other hand, are a great thing.
I know I will get off to a great start, and then halfway through the year get side tracked and stop logging my progress. I think that's ok. As you may notice, some of these goals are the same ones I picked out last year. That's the thing about goals. Sometimes we miss. But we'll never make it if we don't set them, right?
The two big ones that I was proud of last year that "stuck" - logging meals in My Fitness Pal, and staying dedicated to working out. I even got within a pound and a half of my goal weight (only to gain back 4 lbs this last month - wth??).
So here are the new goals, hoping that a couple more become habits this year.
1. Budget - it's really not that hard, I just need to keep it updated every week. I let it go too far last year and it was just a hassle to catch up, and it was abandoned. The new budget spreadsheet it up and ready to go. Goal: update weekly
2. Run - I need to train smarter and not injure myself every six months. I think I am on to something that will work for me with this heart rate training. I can run easy without feeling like a giant slacker. Goal: start a streak. Run daily
3. Swim - we joined a gym with a pool. I would like to incorporate swimming or an aquatics class into my routine. Goal: twice a month
4. Strength train - this is a no brainer. I am in such better all around shape when I do this on a regular basis. Goal: once weekly
5. Cycling - yes, these are a lot of fitness goals, but I think getting some cross training in is the key to not getting injured. Goal: twice a month
6. Race goals - Relay Iowa in June. A marathon in the fall. Yes, I'm putting it out there. A full marathon - eek! Goal: survive I would like to throw a 5k goal on here, but I think this year I am going to focus on the heart rate training and building a higher mileage base. If I speed up, great, but that's not the primary goal.
7. Weekly meal plan - Goal: weekly duh!
8. Lose weight - staying consistent with My Fitness Pal, exercise, and not stuffing my face with the 6 lb bag of gummy bears from Costco would be a good start. Goal: weekly weigh in, daily logging
9. Eat fruit - oh man, I'm still just awful at this. Goal: one piece of fruit daily. I mean, really, who can't do that?
10. Move somewhere warmer - this is one of those pie in the sky dreams. With our active family, I'm realizing that I would love to be in a warmer climate. Life is too short to not spend it where you really, really want to be. This isn't one of those things that I have full control over. Everything has to fall in place at the right time. Goal: define what's truly important, and seek the opportunities I desire
Ok - so that's a lot of little things that I need to stay on top of, and one giant one that will work out the way it's supposed to.
Come back and check in with me, will you? What are your goals or resolutions for the year?